Phrases That Don't Make Sense- Money Doesn't Grow On Trees

Hi. My name's Michelle, and sometimes I think about things to much. Like the phrase, "Money doesn't grow on trees". Of course money doesn't grow on trees. Neither does electricity. Why don't we say "Electricity doesn't grow on trees". There's tons of things that do not grow on trees, but are not associated with trees, because...well, they're just not. That being said, in on of my "it's late at night so anything makes sense to me" delusions, I was thinking that in order to use a phrase like that, it at lease has to or had to (at one point) make sense. But if you think about it, it really makes just as much sense to say "Money doesn't grow on trees" as it does to say "Horses don't grow on trees". No, duh. So, here's some more reasons (besides just making sense) why saying "Money doesn't grow on trees" just doesn't make sense.

1. Because dollar bills are made of paper which is made from trees...

2. Things that grow on trees (fruit & nuts) we buy in stores...but we don't buy $$ in stores....hhhmmm....

3. If money grew on trees, it would be it's own species. And there would be money tree groves....that had to be maintained, so people would get paid for maintaining the money trees....so people would have to buy money to pay the people who take care of the money trees....

4. If money grew on trees, how would the tree's DNA know which president's face to put on it? Or writing for that manner? Would a tree know if it's been transplanted from Europe to the U.S.? What about money trees on country borders? What would happen if a country's border changed? HOW WOULD THE TREE KNOW???

5. Now that our culture is switching to using debit/credit cards for more things, no one really uses paper money any more...so we're going to have to start saying "Credit cards don't grow on trees" (but really, they're made from plastic which is made from oil...which comes from the ground....) Plus...coins are metal...which comes from rocks....

So, now that I've sufficiently ruined the usage of the phrase, "Money doesn't row on trees", I do hope that you'll join me in refraining from using the phrase....(or at lease use it with knowledge that it doesn't really make sense!)

Comments

  1. This post reminded me of this pic I saw on Facebook this morning...which started the random thought "Food doesn't grow on trees"....oh, wait, yeah it does! LOL. Thanks for inspiring my random goofy thought!

    The pic: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=591498360886743&set=a.465073410195906.97287.465072143529366&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) But...I'm wrong, lol! According to Joy's comments, $$ is really FABRIC!!!!

      Delete
  2. hahahahahaha My dad gave me a long speech about the other ingredients used to make American money, but just like most of my childhood memories, I've blocked it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nevermind, curiosity got me and I googled it, it's 75% cotton and 25% linen. I guess I was thinking of the metals in the inks, and the complicated printing process or something. Anyway, cotton grows on plants in the GROUND! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no way! So it's not paper! (which makes sense since it can be washed...)

      Delete

Post a Comment