Confessions Of A 3-Year Old...

    Somehow I am already starting to embarrass my 3-year old.  During "warm-up time" the other day, I was dancing (the kids are supposed to follow the teacher until "free dance") and Amber said, "No! I can do it myself!" and walked away from me!   Then today, we went on a really long hike. It was one of those "oh-this-sounds-like-a-good-idea-oh-wait-the-trail-keeps-going-we-got-time-lets-follow-it" hikes.  On our trek back to the vehicle, we were travelling down the windy path (I had the baby carrier on & was holding Amber's hand) when we saw two (male) cyclists who let us pass.  As we were walking by, Amber said, "no, Mommy! Let go my hand!" like I was (again) embarrassing her!
    I'm not sure how a wonderful Mommy can embarrass her just-turned-three-year-old, but it has happened.  So, to embarrass her further, I shall do what all embarrassing mommies do and tell you something about her.....
    Since Amber turned three, it seems like her nightly tuck-in is her confessional time (note that I always ask the kids how school was as soon as they get home).  Twice when I have tucked her into bed in the last couple of weeks, she has told me about receiving time-outs that day in school, and more recently she has been describing her day.  I don't ask, she just spills (sometimes a little too fast & unclear). I'm wondering how she can keep it all contained for so long without forgetting the details! 
    Maybe she waits until bedtime to tell me how school was because she knows she can't get into trouble for it then.  Or, perhaps she sees it as an intimate way to bond after the rough day she's given me (her attitude could rival that of any 16-year-old).  Either way, I find it sweet and soak up every word (even if I don't understand it).  And for now, her confessions are that of a three-year-old....I fear the day when they turn into the confessions of a 16-year-old.....

Comments