One More Way To Die?

     I tend to ponder myriads of things on my morning runs, including ways to die while running, what my children are doing that day, my day's activities and what to have for dinner.  This morning I ran a section of trail that had large hoof prints.  I kind of know what deer prints look like, and these were much larger and not cloven.  I also saw some mushed excrement near these impressions in the dirt.
   My mind rattled with ideas (was it a bear?{yeah, the fact that bears don't have hoofs evaded me} or a moose? what do moose prints look like? maybe it's a rogue cow! I'm going to get trampled by a cow!!!) as I continued my journey.  The panic wasn't enough to stop me because I know I will die one day, and when it happens, it happens.  I trust that God has it under control, and if it's my time to die, there is nothing I can do about it.
   Finally I reached a turn around point (I can't just run until I can't go any father-I have to get back home somehow) and as I passed by the same tracks and trampled poop, I knew what animal had been here.  I almost slapped myself (that would have been a sight to passers-by: "Why is that crazy runner slapping herself? Oh, her hair's blonde....that explains it") for the panicky thoughts earlier.  Those hoof impressions were made by horses.  Not bears or moose or random cows.  It all made sense now.  The deep crescent shape was a horse hoof.  Well, I guess I could always get trampled to death by a horse....

Comments