Today's Run

  There's nothing as exhilarating as a good morning run.  I know, not everyone understands the joys of running, but I love doing it.  It's not just a work-out for me...it's also a battle.  My adversary is sports-induced asthma.  The only recourse is to push myself to build my endurance and increase my lung capacity.
   As I've mentioned before, when I'm not running, I dream about it.  In my dreams I end up running so fast that I actually fly.  I know this is physically impossible, but when I run fast, sometimes I feel like I am flying.
   Last night I had an epiphany. I have been a lazy runner. Last summer before I stopped running (when my body discovered it was pregnant, it wouldn't let me continue) I had worked up to doing almost 3 miles (without stopping) at 6mph.  I know this because my treadmill told me so.  What I realized last night was that when I run due to an emergency (husband locked my keys in my car, something happens to one of the kids, ect), I run a whole lot faster than I normally do.  This led me to experiment with my run this morning.  Instead of starting off at my normal pace (which is 6mph-I know this because my phone app told me so), I booked it.  I took off as fast as I could and discovered that I can run a little over 8mph.  This was a shock to me because I had not even attempted this speed on my treadmill.  It seemed way too intimidating.
   Now that I know my optimal speed, my goal is to run that fast when I do my morning workouts.  After my experiment today, I told my husband.  He looked at me and asked why I would want to run that fast (he doesn't get running). 
   One of my ultimate goals is to enter and complete the FIBArk Hill Climb (a crazy race up the side of S Mountain).  I was planning to do it this year, but pregnancy got in the way.  Even though I have been exercising for the past 5 weeks, I'm not physically capable of doing it yet.  Tonight I will take the kids to watch and get inspired for next year ;)  Short-term goals include the New Year's Day 5K and hopefully other marathons as I increase my endurance.  (the end)

Comments