The Real Santa

   For years, billions of children (and adults) all over the world have questioned the reality of a jolly fat man in a red suit delivering gifts to deserving youngsters.  The illusion of this reality has been kept alive by well-meaning parents and grandparents.  However, each child eventually comes to the (sometimes devastating) conclusion that Santa Clause does not exist-the role was being played by friends and family.
    I cannot remember being shocked at the discovery that there was no Santa Clause.  My parents never indulged us in the delusion of this man bringing us a gift if we were good for an entire year (do you know how hard it is for children to maintain that standard?).  In my memory Santa was just a fictional character that played in films.
     Choosing whether to pretend there is a Santa or not is a decision most adults must make.  My children see Santa as a fictional character like Dora or Spongebob.  They are not being raised to believe that if they remain "good" for an entire year that they will receive a gift. 
     However, my thoughts on the existence of the reality of this character have been challenged.  I have been presented with the idea that yes, Santa Clause is indeed real and he resides in my house.  My four-year old confessed to us the other day that he is, indeed Santa Clause.

Comments