Pregnancy Amnesia

   Anyone that's ever experienced pregnancy (or know someone who has) has encountered "pregnancy amnesia".  This is where the soon-to-be mommy forgets just about everything she used to know.  It may come in spurts or just hang around during the entire nine months.  She'll forget where she put things, why she started a task, and even where she's supposed to be at any given moment.
   During this pregnancy, my mind took this condition one step further.  Perhaps it was lack of sleep, or too much stress, but it happened.  One night after returning from a trip to the east coast to see my family, I woke up in the middle of the night, rolled over & wondered who this man sleeping in my bed was.  At first I surmised it was a relative (not my spouse), but confusion set in as I mulled over what he was doing in my bed.  After a few disorienting minutes, I realized it was my husband, but my memories of him seemed so distant and vague.
    A few weeks later, the phenomenon happened again.  I woke up on the couch in our living room not knowing where I was or what I was doing in this strange place.  What is interesting about this encounter is that we have lived in this apartment for the past four years.  However, this too seemed like a vague and confusing memory.
    My third experience with this extreme amnesia occurred a few days later.  I woke up on the couch again and asked the strange man in my living room (my husband in reality) who he was and what he was doing there.  His answer was one of jest and one that I am not comfortable posting on the world wide web.  Needless to say, my feelings of fear were slightly escalated by his response.  It took a few minutes, but eventually my memories fell back into place, only again they seemed distant and vague.  Thankfully, this has been the last occurrence of these escaping memories...for now....

Comments