The Weekend From....

This past weekend has been an adventure we hope to be able to laugh about 10 years from now... It all started Friday night in a supposed reputable hotel in Lancaster, PA.  I flew with the kids to DE to visit my ailing grandmother and mom who was getting surgery.  Friday night my mom, dad, sis, kids & I spent the night in Lancaster.  After a busy afternoon of driving and recuperating from our Thursday flight, we ate dinner at a local pizza place and ended then night by swimming in the hotel pool.  The children were pretty much wiped from the events of the past couple days, so I went to turn down the bedcovers so my 4 year old could sleep comfortably....
Instead of tucking my son in for the night, I ran screaming from the room as a mouse flew from under the pillows on his bed.  In my hormone induced state, I cried for about 20 minutes and was inconsolable.  Thankfully the kids just chalked the screaming up to "mommy's usual self" and didn't see the mouse.  All the hotel did for us was 1.move us to the 2nd floor (we had to walk quite a ways and my son was passed out by this time) and 2.give us 20% of the cost of the rooms.  Needless to say, we will not be back.
Saturday we anticipated a nice lunch at a "famous" Lancaster restaurant.  It did not turn out as "nice" as we had expected... My 4 year old has a sensory precessing disorder that limits his enjoyment of things "normal" people take for granted.  Silly Mommy forgot about his issue with crowds...and this eatery attracts loads of people from all over the place... Well, Mommy went to the buffet to accrue food for the little ones, and sensory overload kicked in and wouldn't stop.  My poor mom tried to calm him down, but apparently his "display" was so disruptive that the manager approached her and told her to take him out, even though she explained he would calm down once I appeared (and she wasn't going to leave my 2 year old alone at the table).  Thankfully he did calm when I returned, and we attempted to enjoy the scrumptious food.  This proved impossible for me because all I could think about was my son being kicked out of a restaurant and the stares from the other customers.  When tears started streaming down my face, my sensitive 4 year old look at me and said, "I'm sorry, Mommy.  I'm sorry".  Unable to eat anymore, I left with him in tow.  The manager did refund my meal price, but it was made evident that we would not darken the threshold of that place again.
Sunday morning was enjoyable as we took the Strasburg train for a short jig (my son LOVES trains).  The morning started to turn unenjoyable when my son wanted to get back on the train...but at least we got a few good pics, and the joy on his face as we rode was priceless (he could actually imitate the pitch and length of the  "chooo,chooo" almost perfectly) ...And we had another "episode" in the restaurant we tried for lunch...but they didn't kick us out.  The waitress was actually very understanding and helpful.
So I guess we did experience a few good moments as a family (my bro & his fiance' joined us Saturday) but we might just need to stop planning things for a while, lol....

Comments