Forgiveness Is More Than Saying "Sorry"

Forgiveness. That sounds like such a hope-filled word to those that are seeking it..but to those who feel it is their duty to bestow it, the word may come with the feeling of drugery... Forgiveness is a process for those who have a hard time "letting go" of incidents that have caused great hurt in one's life... It takes alot of mental willpower and energy for people who have become skilled at holding grudges and allowing bitterness to blossom (I should know-this tends to be me).  I have a situation that happened, and I feel that I was wronged. I feel that an appology is owed for broken promises and hurt bestowed upon me. I feel that I should only forgive if asked, and I could live my life without certain people in it... But Peter asked Jesus how often he should forgive his brother if he sinned against him, and Jesus gave him a number....490 times...that allocates for one tresspass a day, for about a year and a half... Now how many people actually count the number of times they forgive someone? After about the hundreth time of counting, you would probably stop, right? I think Jesus' point was that we should forgive continually because God forgives us continually...Matthew 6:14-15 makes alot of sense- how can we expect God to forgive us, if we don't forgive? And for those of you who find that forgiving is a process for you, you are not alone. I have to constanly battle the bitterness and memories that boil to the surface in order to allow forgiveness to reign.  When a person chooses to forgive, not out of duty or with bitterness, it frees them of the burden they have secretly been carrying. Forgiving allows the forgiver to take a step back, and use God's eyes to see that person.  It allows the forgiver to let go of the bitterness that has taken hold of their hearts and allows the Light of the World to shine through once again...For me, forgiving this circumstance will be a daily process until I no longer remember why I was bitter towards it.
     Matthew 6:14-15, " For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: but if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

Comments