New Years Day 5K


     I know you've all been eagerly awaiting information about the New Years Day 5K I took part in. It was phenomenal and my Mom got to see me race for the first time! (yes, I was a late running bloomer).
     Apparently, it's always super cold (and sometimes icy) on New Years in Salida, CO. This stopped few people. I estimate between 30-55 showed up for this walk/run. Though I intended to run the whole time, more runners than I expected show up! The winner did it in less than 20 minutes (3.2 miles in under 20 minutes? yeah right! I estimated my time as 40 minutes, but came in @ 36min 19 sec). It was fun-I ran into one of Josiah's speech therapists, so we paced each other (hence my earier time, lol). Sure, there were opportunities to slip and fall on the packed snow & ice, but we made it through without a single mishap (I did lick the stop sign pole at the top of the hill. I had to-I was dared).
     This was my first NYD5K, and they encouraged costume participation. I was undecided between my BlondieChell costume (seen in pics) and my bearded hat. BlondieChell won. While we were running though (even though it was 10 a.m.) I wished I had gone with the beareded hat-it was *that* cold!






My Cape!!!


The contestants...You can't see me because of tall people...



                   Here's a short clip of me running at the end of the race!


Yay! I did it! Sure, my time was a bit slower than the 5K I did during the summer, but it was also super cold out, so, I think it balances out! Next year, the crocheted beard will make an appearance for sure! Thanks for staying tuned!

Comments

  1. I ran a 5k on Saturday in 34:25 and I don't remember how I got so fast. It boggles my mind when I think about it. I did the same as you but I followed a total stranger who kept a fantastic pace (hence the faster run). Congrats on your time! Esther Norine Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been adding speed drills, but my primary concern is building up my mileage (i have sports-induced-asthma) Congrats on your time!

      Delete

Post a Comment