If You Get Scared Half-to-Death Twice, Are You Dead?

    Three heart attacks in one day?? Is that even possible??? Apparently so....
     The first one happened while I was vacuuming upstairs.  Malachi (who is pretty proficient at crawling forwards and backwards) came up the stairs.  After deciding that he no longer wanted to be around the machine-that-eats-all-in-it's-path, he crawled back downstairs. Then I heard a whump-whump-whump-whump and I rushed to the bottom before he started crying.
     Next, we were in the office of a nutritionist when he decided that standing on the large black chair wasn't enough.  (Keep in mind this kid is not yet 1.)  He reached down, grabbed the edge of her desk and swung (yes, swung) himself down to the floor, ala George of the Jungle.  When he landed on his bottom, he was neither fazed nor upset. This leads me to believe he achieved his desired result.
    Later, I had the audacity to take the kids to a park in town.  We've been to this park many times since it's near Josiah's school.  Out of what seemed like nowhere, little man decided to be brave and climbed up the big-kid's play structure.  I was the "smart mom" and stayed down below where I'd have a better chance of catching him when (yes, when....not "if"...when...) he fell off.  Well, Malachi, always aiming to amaze, didn't fall.  He crawled all up and down the play structure....until he grew bold enough to to attempt the slide.  Not the smaller slides, the larger ones....the ones that Amber didn't even attempt until this spring.  That being said, remember that this child is not yet 1.  He has not mastered the proper sitting technique.  In fact, he has no technique at all.  He usually slides down head-first or backwards on the baby slide.  Backwards was not his first choice today.  He proceeded to head down the slide face-first.  Then he realized his mistake.  By this time, he was stuck, because he had leaned too far forward to climb back up and his altitude was higher than I could reach.  I had a split second to make my decision: I could race around the structure and climb up to snatch him (but, by the time I got there he could have already slid down) or, I could stand there helplessly until his grasp gave way and he slid forward to where I could reach him.  Obviously, I chose the latter.  Two seconds later, he slid forward.  If I had let him continue his descent face-first, he would have been greeted by a mouthful of mulch (this would have been after a penguin-ish belly glide off the bottom of the slide)......all of this has made me realize why God made my hair blonde....so that when it turns white early on, people won't notice.....
            
                                                This is where he got stuck...yes, the set of slides on the right...


                                        This is Malachi sliding backwards down the baby slide...

Comments

  1. I wish this was like facebook so I could just "like" it but since it is not I will let you know that I am cracking up!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment