Why I Love Running...

   So, I love running.  I know not everyone does (though I believe they should).  I'm not sure where my affection for this natural sport started.  Perhaps it's always been apart of me.  Maybe it's the feeling of exhilaration as I run trails in the early morning.  Or, or it could have started in elementary school when we would take turns pushing the merry-go-round as fast as we could while running as fast as our little feet would propel us.
   Either way, it's a passion of mine now.  I run 4-5 days a week, estimating a little over a mile & a half each morning.  If I don't do it in the morning, it won't get done.  And there's just something about running in the crisp morning air. 
   I love where I live, because there is a development about a block from my house that has a series of dirt paths built in.  The trails are separate from the main road, so I can run knowing that I'm not directly in a vehicle's path.  I also enjoy running here because I can choose my distance, difficulty, duration and direction.  These choices help me to escape the clutches of boredom that come from running the same course everyday.
   My asthma still plagues me, as I imagine it always will.  It's the running buddy I never wished for. Everyday I strive to fight against it's binding grasp, knowing that I will not win the war, but I can win the battles. 
   Before I started my running journey two summers ago,  I was looking for a running buddy.  Someone to run with me so that I would not be alone; someone to push me further than I could do on my own.  Well, I never could find someone, despite well-meaning promises.  And now, I'm not sure if I do need a running friend.  God is my running buddy.  I enjoy conversing with him as we traverse the early morning terrain.  The fragrant weeds (I'm not sure if actual flowers can grow on their own in this rocky location) provide a fresh start to my run and refreshing breezes are a gift from Him as I slow my pace to cool down. 
   There really is nothing like an early morning run with God.  He created me to run, so I do.

Comments