My Mom

    Mother's Day...A day we set aside to honor all the moms and grandmothers that have a special place in our lives.  My mom is one of those people. 
    She is the kind of mother that I model my own parenting skills after.  She taught us (my 2 siblings and I) to love, to comfort and to read.  She would record herself on cassette tape reading stories so she could "read" to us while she was working.
    She also taught us that hospitals were not scary places, as we repetitively visited the local children's hospital's Emergency Room for various injuries and illnesses.  Between us three kids, we must have seen that ER at least once every six to twelve months.  From broken limbs to unknown viruses to wounds needing sutures to foreign objects protruding from our bodies, we sure knew how to scare the whachamacalits out of my poor mother.  But, she was a trooper-  Mom always managed to remain calm enough to drive the 15 or so miles to the ER, admit the injured/ill child, and had retained enough sanity to not kill us in front of hospital personnel.
     I love my mom and am thankful that she is still a part of my life, and my children's lives.  Even though we are separated by 1800 miles of cities, farmland, forests and mountains, modern technology makes the distance seem shorter...So short, that she was the first person I contacted after giving birth to my third child.
     Mom, I love you and am so thankful that God allowed you to be my mother!

Comments