Navigating Adult Events With the Palate of A Toddler

 


          Have you ever dreaded attending an event because you didn’t know what the menu would be?  Well, I have. Frequently.  In fact, I have almost avoided events due to not knowing what the presented food would be (or the food quantity).

          Now, I have been told that I have what can be considered “the palate of a two-year-old”.  Does this make me a “basic white girl”? Or... am I the only one who successfully avoids potential food poisoning because I am unable to tolerate raw fish & uncharred meats?  It’s  a lot to ponder.  I can tell you, that if you and I ever go out to a “fancy” restaurant together, I will be the one inquiring about a kid’s menu.

         Let's get down to the social aspect of my ....quirk?  hidden talent? extreme immaturity?  Typically, if you’re involved in any sort of external social group or church, there are events or gathering that often include food (because food can bring people together – for the most part).  In my most recent years, I have discovered that event leaders tend to not prefer to disclose menu options prior to occasions (why? probably because some people would choose to not attend due to the menu – I have no idea why they would even think this!).  My personal experience (and probably a poor relationship with food) has created a self-preservation type of paranoia which now causes me to choose to eat something that I know I will enjoy prior to attending any and all events with undisclosed (or "sketchy") menus - will there be onions in that? Maybe – Aunt Ida will never tell!

Food aversions and preferences may not be due to trauma or in-exposure (as much as I love my chicken fingers and plain cheeseburgers, I do try new food regularly and understand that it can take up to 10 times to try something before you develop a taste for it)  but a physical or neuro incapability – your brain literally will not allow you to ingest something due to the texture, flavor, or “mouth feel” – and that’s okay. Pregnancy, medical, or other life changes can also affect this. For instance, after pregnancy #2, my tolerance for red sauces has decreased (which is very unfortunate, considering the fact that my husband is Italian and we consume a pasta/sauce/meat dish [aka “spaghetti”] at least once a week). In addition to that, I can only seldom tolerate the texture of spaghetti-shaped pasta as it now induces an extreme gag  reflex at times when I ingest/consume too much of it. Due to these combined nuances, I do not often participate in our weekly meal of "spaghetti" - instead, I have become "the child that we make a special meal for".

               If you do find yourself experiencing similar situations and you still want to be able to attend events where food is likely to be served, here are some great hacks that allow me to still attend and not be concerned about the food being provided:

1. Eat prior to event (Sometimes I will eat on the way!)

2. Pack snacks – you can always package them at home in a baggie or container an add them to your plate when you’re sitting down so it’s less obvious that you brought “purse snacks”.  If you do not typically carry a purse, backpack or diaper bag, wear a jacket (or pants!) with large pockets.

3. Claim dietary restrictions (Oh, you just went keto for 24hrs? Good for you!  Oh? You recently developed an allergy to raisins? Me too- it’s a good thing allergies can come and go without warning- because your allergy has the potential to be all cleared up tomorrow!)

4. Arrive “precisely when you mean to” – aka- after the scheduled meal time, or just in time for dessert!

5. Fake eating – I will push food around on my plate and still acknowledge a cook’s hard work – I will put food in napkins – I have tried food and then spit it out into a napkin – I will also pass my plate off or trade it with someone else so it appears that I finished my plate 

Let me know if you try any of these hacks and how these tips work for you!


Comments