Lawn Mower + Rain = Yuck

   As mentioned in my previous post, yes I did go lawn-mowing yesterday.  Someone actually trusted me with machinery and I didn't die.  Almost, but I guess yesterday just wasn't my day.
   Yesterday I helped our friend, Mike mow a yard.  It has been years since I've touched a lawn mower.  I think the last time I mowed a lawn was when I ruined a riding mower by getting the blades stuck in a block of wood that was hidden under tall grasses.  We're talking about 8 or 9 years ago.  But I am always up for the challenge of trying new (or retrying) things!
    The mowers we used were electric, so we didn't have to deal with the stench or hassle of gas.  Well, no one mentioned that this lawn would be kinda of large and had a big hill.  Sports-induced-asthma girl should not be pushing lawn mowers up and down hills (at least not yet). 
    When we had about a quarter of the yard left to mow, it started to rain.  Not too heavy at first, just a light sprinkle.  Since we weren't stopping, I wondered if Mike had even felt it or if maybe he just shrugged it off as sweat.  Well, the rain started gradually increasing.  I told Mike, "Just let me know when we're going to be electrocuted, ok?" and he nodded, but that was the end of it. 
     So here we were, in the pouring rain, with our electric mowers plugged into the outside electrical holes, mowing grass that was becoming wetter by the minute.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't the safest thing we could have been doing.  I was waiting for lighting to join us, or an electrical short, but neither came.  We finished up the job, and by the time were were done, I felt like a wet dog who had rolled around in fresh cut grass.  The wind had been blowing softly, so there were clipping all over.  And I mean all over.  It was the grossest I've felt in a long time, but I do now have more respect for people who do mow lawns.  It may not be the hardest job, but, Mike Rowe, it sure is a dirty one.

Comments